Some thoughts on long term digital strategy:
- It’s impossible to plan too far in advance, a 3 yr development is not really a long time, but lately it feels as though everything in schools is changing on an almost monthly basis. For tech, this is no different.
- Consider staff implications and CPD – would time be better spent investing in training that changing the provision?
- What are the curriculum needs (now that it’s here!) – will other subject areas require tech?
- What will really become obselete? Will companies stop supporting their ‘free’ services?
What will be on my long term plan?
- A pause! There has been lots of change recently, once the IT infrastructure works to my satisfaction we will pause!
- A mix of devices, with a mixture of operating system. Whilst the bulk of pupil use is through google drive and google apps I think it’s important that children experience a range of operating systems.
- Free services, such as google, will be important.
- Regular tech support and advice will be budgeted for.
- A mixture of android tablets (cheap and accesible) with iPads (quality of apps and intuitive)
- Windows in the classroom, ubuntu in shared areas, chromebooks and some laptops. – This is in part to get rid of Windows XP.
- Robots / beebots / lego – and CPD to use them correctly.
I will upload the development plan once done – but would love to know what is going into your long term strategy!